Mac’s Sports Inc. SCUBA Equipment Service
Annual maintenace and service is vital to SCUBA equipment life
Annual maintenance and service of your underwater life support system are extremely important for your own safety and comfort during dives. This system includes your first stage, second stage, octopus/air2, BC, and computer. Mac’s Sport’s Clearwater and Tampa Locations have IN-HOUSE SERVICE CENTERS where our technicians have been trained by the manufacturer to service your gear back to the manufacturer’s specifications.
MAIL-IN SERVICE AVAILABLE
If our current locations are not convenient, ship your equipment to us. You will receive a phone call as soon as your gear has arrived and a pre-inspection is completed by one of our qualified technicians. Once authorized, our service specialists will begin to service your gear and it will be shipped back to you once it is completed. This is a great option if you are coming to the Tampa Bay area for an upcoming dive trip. We can have your equipment ready when you arrive.
VIP – Visual Inspection Program
DOT/CTC annually required visual inspection.
In order to maintain DOT/CTC regulations, you must have your SCUBA equipment tested annually. The VIP, Visual Inspection Program inspects all the necessary areas of your equipment to make sure you stay compliant with DTC/CTC regulations.
Interior and exterior of equipment is inspected for imperfections.
Cylinder neck threads are cleaned.
The neck o-ring groove is scoured and re-grooved.
Aluminum neck threads are electronically inspected using Visual Plus Inspection Unit.
- Valve is inspected for abnormalities, the dip-tube is tightened, and the face and neck o-rings are replaced.
- Valve is reattached to cylinder.
- A new inspection sticker is placed on the tank.
- The cylinder is refilled and water tested.
SCUBA Regulator Service
Highly Recommended Be Done Once a Year
When it comes to SCUBA diving, your regulator is arguably the most important piece of equipment you have. Regardless of the number of dives you have on the regulator, it should be serviced every year. Some brands only require service every 2 years, however, if you are an active diver, you may need service every year. Regulators contain parts that wear based on time, not the number of dives. All of Mac’s in-house service technicians are trained and certified and can service your equipment back to manufacturer specifications.
- Pre-inspected, disassembled, and cleaned in ultrasonic cleaner.
- Reassembled with new factory parts kits.
- Hoses are cleaned.
- O-rings are replaced and lubricated.
- Water tested for leaks.
Buoyancy Compensator Service (BCs)
Highly Recommended Be Done Once a Year.
Your SCUBA Buoyancy Compensator (BC) or Buoyancy Compensating Device (BCD) is, likely, one of the most expensive pieces of dive gear you will own. With that said, proper care and service can prolong the life of your BC or BCD, giving you many years of reliable performance. All of Mac’s in-house service technicians are trained and certified and can service your equipment back to manufacturer specifications.
- The BC is pre-inspected
- Integrated Octopus (Air2) / inflator and all air overpressure dump valves are disassembled and cleaned in ultrasonic cleaner
- All parts are inspected and reassembled with new factory parts
- The entire BC is water-tested for leaks
Safety Bench and Water Test
Recommended if gear has been unused for several months.
A Safety Bench and Water Test is an important service to have done if you have not used your SCUBA equipment in the last 90 days or 3 months. This bench test is a good way to ensure your SCUBA equipment is in peak condition. If any part of your system needs further service, the price of the safety test is applied to your service cost.
- Your regulator and BC is attached to a cylinder and pressure tested.
- All equipment is inspected for leaks, worn hoses, cracks, and other abnormalities.
- The performances of the 1st and 2nd stages are tested with special gauges.
- Regulator and BC are water tested for leaks.
Hydrostatic(Hydro) Pressure Test
Should be done every 5 years per DOT/CTC regulations.
Hydrostatic (Hydro) testing is the method to validate the safety and structural integrity of a SCUBA cylinder throughout its service life. This is a service that should be done every 5 years, in order to comply with DOT/CTC regulations.
- Tanks are VIPed (see VIP section above).
- Water pressure test – inspects the strength of the physical structure of the cylinder.
- The valve is serviced.
- Nitrox tank valves are O2 cleaned.
- Cylinder and valve separated and the cylinder is rolled with a tumbling media inside to remove corrosion.
- Cylinder is re-evaluated, cleaned, rinsed, and dried.
- Valve is reattached to the cylinder.
- Cylinder VIP Service is performed.
Oxygen cleaning for NITROX and O2 administration.
Prevent long-term damage to SCUBA tanks by performing oxygen cleaning service.
- Valve is removed and the cylinder is evaluated for compatibility for oxygen service.
- Cylinder is cleaned with an oxygen serviceable cleaner, rinsed and dried, then steel tanks are coated with a rust-proof finish.
- The valve is disassembled, cleaned in a special ultrasonic cleaner and all appropriate parts are soaked in a special oxygen cleaning solutions, rinsed, and then dried.
- Valve parts are inspected and reassembled using special oxygen compatible o-rings, seals, and lubricants.
Valve is reattached to cylinder.
New inspection stickers and a NITROX label are attached to the cylinder
- Cylinder is refilled with NITROX, analyzed, and logged.
SCUBA Diving Classes and Certifications
Our Open Water Program is designed to teach you the skills to become a competent and responsible SCUBA Diver through the repetition of skills in our classroom, on site indoor pool, and open water dives, all while having as much fun possible! Instructors pay individual attention to each student to ensure that they are as comfortable and competent as possible while in the water!
Our dive instructors are passionate about SCUBA Diving and teaching. This passion shines through in our instructors’ thoroughness of any and all classes. Our main goal is for you to love diving as much as we do and we take pride in seeing our students as successful SCUBA Divers upon the completion of their class
Semi Custom Dive Classes
Custom Dive Lessons
SCUBA Referral Class
- Limited Visibility Diving
- Boat Diving
REAL REVIEWS from our clients
Mac’s Sports Inc.
Mac’s Sports Inc. is a family owned and operated dive shop with over 50 years experience teaching people to SCUBA dive, as well as teaching advanced SCUBA, classes. Whether you are looking for; beginning dive classes, specialty SCUBA classes, an upcoming dive trip, or even SCUBA rental equipment, Mac’s Sports has you covered.